Genealogy 101 is back in 2017 with eight presentations planned on a variety of topics, from researching your female ancestors to using civil war pensions. While those who attend the programs in person will have the advantage of asking questions and drawing on the knowledge and expertise of the presenting NSDAR staff genealogist, each presentation will also be recorded and posted online to reach those beyond DAR headquarters. All of the programs are free and open to the public, with the first one scheduled for Thursday, February 23. During the first presentation, NSDAR Genealogist Marilyn Mills will give an overview of search strategies and tips for success in using the resources available at the DAR Library.
Author Lecture Series
This year’s Author Lecture series is taking shape to be an exciting line-up of authors and historians! The library is currently planning visits from history author John Oller, White House Historical Association Chief Historian Edward Lengel, and archaeologist Dean Snow. A special presentation with genealogist and The Genealogy Guys podcast co-host George Morgan is also planned. We’re excited to host these great authors in 2017! Like the Genealogy 101 presentations, all author lectures will be filmed and posted on the library’s website.
The Schedule (all programs planned for 10am)*
- Thursday, February 23, 2017 - Genealogy 101: Search Strategies for DAR Resources
- Saturday, March 18, 2017 – Genealogy 101: Female Ancestors
- Thursday, April 20, 2017 – Genealogy 101: African American Genealogy
- Thursday, May 4, 2017 – Genealogy 101: Jewish American Genealogy
- Friday, May 12, 2017 – Author Lecture: John Oller, The Swamp Fox
- Saturday, September 9, 2017 – Author Lecture: Edward Lengel
- Saturday, September 23, 2017 – Author Lecture: Dean R. Snow
- Thursday, September 28, 2017 – Genealogy 101: NC Land Records in TN
- Thursday, October 26, 2017 – Genealogy 101: Cemeteries and Death Records
- Thursday, November 16, 2017 – Genealogy 101: Native American Genealogy
- Saturday, December 9, 2017 – George Morgan
- Saturday, December 16, 2017 – Genealogy 101: Civil War Pensions
*All dates, times, speakers, and topics mentioned above are subject to change. To stay up-to-date on all Library programs, join our mailing list or visit the DAR Library calendar online. See recordings of past programs here.